With my usual timeliness, this post is about things that happened a month ago. Specifically, the quite heavy rain we got about a week after my February post complaining about the deer eating my heucheras. The deer had nothing on the rain in terms of damage to our five-month-old landscaping.
Being on the lower part of a hillside, there was quite a lot of water running toward our house. The house itself was fine, since it’s largely built over empty space. But the drainage system, which was installed after the ’97-98 El Nino, was not quite able to cope with the mud and debris that washed down along with the water, so the water had to find alternate routes. This was taken the day after the heaviest rain.
Not much compared to actual flooding, I realize, but still distressing when I saw bare mud and water where my heucheras used to be.
I especially liked how my green spice heuchera had turned into a defunct tennis ball. (That one and the other upper picture were taken about a week and a half later, after the water had drained a bit.)
About two weeks after the video was taken (during which it had continued to rain, though not as hard), spouse and I went out and tried to relocate some of the dirt and mud and unearth our stepping stones. And I realized that my plants were just buried, not washed away!
That last one could’ve been a Find the Plant. It was difficult. I found the upper left one, then spouse unearthed the lower one (the chocolate heuchera, seen in the first pic in the above-linked post), and we both worked at the upper right one. Each plant has its own drip irrigation, so we dug for the tube and then followed it to the drip spout.
Also, I should mention that we had help. Sort of.
The exhumed heucheras are doing well and I’ll put pictures of them and other plants in another post. But in order to have an actual animal photo in this post, I’ll add the deer that we saw a few days later.